Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Well, we've been in Mesa now for a few days, and this area seems to be a nice area. We're staying at Viewpoint RV and Golf Resort, which has 1952 sites. Many of those sites are permanent mobile homes that are either full time residents, or snow birders. There are several of these type of RV parks in the Mesa area. This coming Sunday we move to Mesa Regal RV park, which is about 3 miles away. With some of our memberships, we're typically limited to 7 days at a park under the reduced membership rate.

For those who know me, know I love fixit projects. I could spend everyday coming up with, or working on projects. Now, Sally on the other hand, pretty much loves sightseeing, or investigating the design architecture of Shopping Malls; paying particular attention to the arrangement of counters in the cosmetic departments. So, I had a list of projects that I had been working on, off and on; but still needed to be addressed. So, when Sally said she thought she would check out the Mall here in Mesa, I thought oh boy! Projects!

The Dishnet Box Saga

A couple of weeks ago, we decided that we would purchase another VIP 211 dish net box for the bedroom. The 211 box only has one tuner, but it has the capability to add a hard drive and it becomes a DVR. We often have problems with the current box with trying to record different things that are on at the same time, but with only one tuner, prevents recoding two programs at the same time. We currently have one in the living room, and it works great. I went on Amazon and ordered another one for $99 from a Dishnet vendor in Indianapolis.

We received the box, and I hooked it up in the bedroom after some cabling changes throughout the RV. Of course, cabling changes aren't very easy in an RV, compared to a typical house. I then spent about three hours on the phone with Dishnet trying to activate the box. After many attempts, including swapping cables with the other box, I was unsuccessful in getting the box activated. Dishnet recommended returning to box to the vendor.  I sent the box back to the vendor, and tried to communicate  with them for a replacement box to be sent. The vendor failed to return voice mails or emails, so after about three days, I ordered another box from a different vendor. The first vendor finally emailed me, and he agreed to refund my money plus $15 for my troubles. So I only really lost time on that fiasco.

Well, apparently when I ordered another box, a senior moment occurred during that ordering process.  I ordered a VIP 222 box by mistake. So on Monday, when I received the new box, I noticed it was a VIP 222 box.  I thought the new vendor had screwed up and sent the wrong box. No, I screwed up and ordered the wrong box! This 222 box has two tuners, but unfortunately no DVR capabilities. I contemplated sending it back, but by this time was just tired of the whole dish box experience.  I went ahead and installed the box and got it activated without to many further box problems.

Then I went to use the box, and found out that there are limitations to using both boxes at the same time.  Dishnet has two satellites; one at 119 degrees, and one at 110 degrees. My "Carryout" dish antenna apparently only has one LNB, with two coax cable outputs. The ad says supports two receiver boxes. Depending on which channel your watching, it may be receiving the signal from the 119 deg. satellite, or from the 110 deg. satellite. When you change channels, it may slew to the other satellite. The bottom line is, if your watching a program on one box, you have to watch a program on the other box that is supported by that same satellite; and of course; no DVR capabilities on the new box!  Ah, lessons learned, and gave me something to satisfy my creative output!

The Bedroom TV Saga Continues!


When Thor designed the mounting frame for the TV in the bedroom, I'm not sure what they were thinking? The bedroom TV also had a DVD player in the cabinet behind the TV. The TV was mounted to a solid sheet metal plate which attached the TV to the frame. The only problem with the solid plate is when using an IR remote for any component that is in the cabinet behind to TV. The sheet metal plate blocks the IR signals that could go between the wood frame and the TV. Duh!!!!!

Solution! Remove the sheet metal plate and mount the TV using two flat brackets. So, I bought a piece of flat bar and made two brackets. I removed the flat plate and used the new brackets to mount the TV to the wooden frame. Problem Solved!

New Brackets Installed

Slide Moulding Saga:

For about the last two months we've had a problem with a stupid piece of moulding on the top of the 18' dining room/bedroom slide. Each time we run the slide in, the moulding is pulled away from the slide frame with a nice loud bang! Scared me to death the first time it happened. I've stapled it back twice, but still continued to pop off. I hate when that happens! I'd had it, and was determined to solve this problem once and for all! So, a little block plane; touch up staining, and I hopefully am good to go. We'll see the next time I run the slide in? If it pops off again, It's probably going to get taken off!

Stupid Moulding!

Sally got home from the mall; I was worn out from thinking so hard all day; but in the back of my mind still thinking about my next new projects; and another shopping trip for Sal. On top of all of that, I still had to fix dinner, and pamper Sally for the rest of the evening!  She's a Lucky Lady!

The rest of the week we're going to try and see a baseball game between the Cubbie's and Padre's. Tomorrow, we're going to out to see Sally's relative's who are snow birds from Iowa in the Apache Junction area. Haven't seen them in a long time, so we're looking forward to that. 

Dave





1 comment:

  1. I would have gone with this dish: http://www.winegard.com/travler/travler-directv-slimline.php and with Dirctv with thier DVR's or their new Tivo unit. Buts thats me.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete